home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Dining Room Reveal

What comes first, the chicken or the egg? When designing a room there's always a jumping off point, a.k.a. an inspiration source. More often than not, it's a rug or something colorful that dictates the overall plan. In the case of my dining room, it was a paint color. 

I found Benjamin Moore's Narrangansett Green (HC-15) and was immediately sold. I painted a very large, leftover canvas in this beautiful color and propped it against the wall so I could get a good feel for the color. I also wanted to make sure I wouldn't tire of it easily. It literally leaned against the wall for months while I waited patiently for the rest of the room to evolve.  Instead of tiring of it, I became even more convinced that things were heading in the right direction.

Remember this chandelier? I almost sold it on Craigslist for $250 then quickly realized, as people were chomping at the bit to gobble it up, that it currently retails for $1900 on Amazon. Wow, someone should do a little more research before they spontaneous list a piece they don't think they like!

I have to admit, seeing these crystals sparkle against the blue-green walls is one of my favorite elements in the room. Who would've guessed?! 


I was dead set that I wasn't going to have a DIY piece of art hanging in our dining room but the frugal side of me crept in and won that battle. It's a giant piece and only cost me $37. I'll share the details in a future post.

My father-in-law generously gifted me these lucite chairs from Wisteria. I love, love the way they look but I can't say that I'd tell someone to run out and buy them. They're not the most comfortable and they squeak every time you shift your weight. Ugh!

But the good thing about these chairs is they allow the live edge table to shine in its' glory. I purposefully searched for something low-profile and clear. I wanted your attention to go directly to the character of the table instead of being bossed around by a busy chair.

Now seems like the perfect time to show you where we started with this room. The previous owner adorned the walls with palm tree wallpaper and the windows with heavy drapery (I removed the panels before this shot).
BEFORE:

After ripping down the wallpaper I had the walls retextured to a level 5 (super smooth) finish then used a high gloss paint. This helped give a super slick and shiny background that's not really obvious in the pictures but super cool in person.

AFTER:
The banquette was a total score from World Market. I literally bought the last one in Texas. We had to drive to Austin over spring break to pick it up. The store manager down there just shook her head when she looked at my raincheck and saw how much, or should I say how little, I paid for it!

I added a folded piece of fabric to spice things up a bit. I originally planned to attach it, but then I realized it looked fine draped and this way I'm not committed. Love the blue/green walls, not so sure I'll stay in love with the persimmon stripe! Commitment issues, anyone?

Last, but not least, let's talk about the rug! I searched, and searched, and searched some more for the perfect rug. I felt like I was banging my head against wall as nothing seemed right. Then, I was contacted by Rugs Direct and they generously offered to send me a rug. I was super excited and this opened up the door for me go a little outside of my comfort zone and pick something I may not normally choose if I were forking over my own pennies. And, I absolutely love it!

Want to know the best part? I'm partnering with Rugs Direct next week to offer a $300 giveaway to one of you lucky souls!! So, don't forget to check back and put your name in the hat. This was the first time I'd ordered a rug online. I wasn't necessarily a believer before this experience. More on that next week too!

{Legal mumbo jumbo...Rugs Direct provided the rug of my choice but the verbiage and opinions are mine all mine.}

35 comments:

Interior Design Musings said...

Man I love a good reveal! Great job! M.

Cassie Bustamante said...

oh my! take my breath away!!!! i adore it!

Dominique said...

Looking good! That paint color reminds me of Benjamin Moore's Dark Harbour thatI included in the mood board for my landing.

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

So sophisticated!! I've never really "gotten" clear chairs, but DANG do they show off that scrumptious table!! It's just a shame you got rid of those valances ;)

pam {simple details} said...

PERFECTION!!! I'm DYING over here!!! Your eye for mixing styles is insane, I LOVE every single element, you are so good at being thoughtful about each piece! I know I say this every time you diy art, but you need an Etsy shop! Ok, I guess you know I like it, right? I'm just so excited for you, this is going to be all over the place!

Haley said...

This looks great! I love the wall color and the mixture of different styles in this room. I'm not really a fan of the chandelier in the before, but it really fits well with the after.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I noticed that gorgeous rug right away Dana, it works so well with your wall color and have mercy, that Narragansett Green is absolutely deliciously stunning. I love it so much and wish I had a place to use it!!! Your lucite chairs, whilst not the most comfy, look SO incredible with the table, I love the combination. What a gorgeous room! Enjoy many happy times in there with your family and friends!

whalingcitycottage said...

This is gorgeous! The green and the persimmon are a great together. And the rug is perfect! Seriously, this whole combo is to die for.

Julia@Cuckoo4Design said...

Wow this is beyond gorgeous! Love the mix of rustic, modern and glam!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Such an incredible dining room...I love the eclectic mix !...So exquisite!!

Carrie said...

What an absolutely gorgeous room!! I love every single bit of it. :)

Vel Criste said...

Oh Dana, your room is perfect! Sophisticated with an edge!! LOVE IT! The chandy is to die for but the table? I'm just green with jealousy! Great job dear!

Unknown said...

Fantastic job Dana. I love the rug and the chandelier and the mirrors! Enjoy your dinners there, with many happy memories. xo Nancy

Julie said...

This room is ahhhhh-mazing! It should appear in a design magazine :)

Dwellings by DeVore said...

Gorgeous! I'm so glad you kept the light fixture, it's a show stopper!

Abracadabra Writer said...

Beautiful work. That blue on the walls is lovely.

Shannon said...

Beautiful!
A really special room...I can't say I've seen it a million times in a million homes...it's really really well pulled together!

Anonymous said...

Love the room and the rug. Can you provide the name of it as after an hour wandering the site, I'm unable to find it!

Dana Frieling said...

Here's a link to the rug. Don't forget to check back for the giveaway!
http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetail/Details/127681/Milliken/KashmiranPastiche/Sharak7490/

Casa Vilora Interiors said...

This is a beautiful dining room

Calypso In The Country said...

What a beautiful room! I love the wall color and that rug!
-Shelley

Unknown said...

I love everything you have done with this room and never give up that chandelier!

Barbara Matson said...

So gorgeous! Love how everything just melts together so perfectly!

diane said...

Saw this room over on Centsational Girl and I must say I love the wonderful mix of styles you so successfully accomplished. You have a new subscriber

http://www.preciouslyme.com/ said...

So beautiful! The mirror wall is amazing and the dining table... gorgeous! Love it ♥

Anonymous said...

Hello Dana-

Can you tell me if the Ben Moore’s Narragansett Green changes color with the light of the room? Does it look differently with artificial light verses natural light? I have been contemplating using this color in my own dining room.

Thank you and fantastic job!

Nancy

Dana Frieling said...

Nancy, My dining room gets tons of natural light so it's difficult for me to give you a strong answer. I will tell you though that everyone who walks into our house thinks it's blue paint vs green paint. Hope that helps!

Katja | Shift Ctrl Art said...

I love your dining room make-over. I had to pop over from Cassie's to see which chairs those were. They are fantastic and so perfect in your space! Love your home!

Jena @ Involving Color said...

Dana, your dining room looks SO good! That table is amazing, and the rug really pulls everything together. I love the Benjamin Moore Narrangansett Green in here too, and I'd love to feature this on my paint color blog, Involving Color. Let me know if you're interested!

Cheryl @ Artzzle said...

Phooey! I JUST decided on new colors for my open living areas - finally! No kidding . . . was on my way to town to buy em this pm. NOW I need to see more of this gorgeous color. I like that it's more blue than green AND my other areas are grays, so it would work!!
Thanks . . . I think :)

Cheryl @ Artzzle said...

Forgot to mention, I found you over at INVOLVING COLOR.
Have a great weekend, All. I'm going to be painting!

Poulin Design Center said...

What a beautiful transformation. It is so elegant, I love it!

North East Factory Direct said...

Just discovered your site and I love it! and Your makeover is inspiring! Keep up the great work.


Furniture Store Denver said...

this dining room is soooo Gorgeous! and It is so modern and clean looking. I’m really impressed.

Najaf Rugs & Textile said...

This is really good article and post.Thanks for sharing
Handmade Rugs Melbourne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips