Monday, December 5, 2011

How to make Iced Branches

Happy Monday, friends! We're coming off of a weekend full of rain! Yea! Happy dances all around. I was hoping we'd buy our Christmas tree this weekend but we put it off since lugging a soggy tree home was less than appealing. Hopefully, we'll check this one off the to-do list in the next couple of days.

I spent the day painting on Friday and I'm very excited to share the progress of our built-in sometime this week. I left you with a big tease over the weekend, but I've got a little more work to do before the big reveal!

In the meantime, how about something that sparkles to hold your attention?! Iced branches are beautiful and help to create a whimsical atmosphere when used in Christmas decorating. I ran across a great tutorial that was just screaming to be passed on.

How to make Iced Branches:


Iced Branches via Save on Crafts
Materials

Step 1.
Place a sheet of newspaper down for a work area. Pour a pile of Colorfill Diamonds (and German glass glitter for extra sparkle) in the center. 
Step 2.
Place tacky glue on the branches and smooth it out along the branch(not in big clumps). Then fold the paper slightly then roll the branch in the Diamonds (and glitter). Let set for about 45 minutes. Now work on the opposite side of the branch. Wait 1/2 hour and you have ice covered branches. Easy as that!

Need a visual? Here ya go...





Think of the possibilities! Mantles, vases, porches...the list goes on. Don't limit yourself to branches, this process would also work on decorative balls or sparkly pinecones, just to name a few.

I hope there's some sparkle in your day today, friends. 

If you'd like help creating something wonderful in your own house, contact me. Did you know e-design is available? Put it on your Christmas list today...design gift certificates!

Linking to: The Shabby Nest
                   The Corson Cottage

34 comments:

A Vintage Vine said...

Dana, funny you and I were both using sticks!! These are wonderful and so easy, what a great idea and thanks for giving us the how-to!

rachel @ Just a Touch of Gray said...

I love this idea!! Thanks for sharing!

pam {simple details} said...

Seriously! Now my branches are all looking a little umm...boring! I'm already starting a list of projects for next year and this is ON IT!! Thanks!

The Corson Cottage said...

Great tutorial! I love these. I would love for you to share this at The Corson Cottage for our {Home for the Holidays} link party ~ Carrie
http://thecorsoncottage.blogspot.com/2011/12/home-for-holidays-link-party-features.html

shadow*jewels said...

Wow. Those are totally gorgeous! thanks for sharing.

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

Visiting from the Corson Cottage. These are stunning! Thanks for the tutorial. I'm a new follower.

Anonymous said...

Had some store purchased ones with areas of missing clusters from storing them,will repair them now.thank you

Lizzie said...

I just found Pinterest!! And what a find! Love these glitter ice sticks. I preserve my own eucalyptus branches...might have some holiday fun with this idea ... Cannot lose, they will smell good anyway !

Susan said...

Do you know if this would work outdoors in an uncovered area?

Anonymous said...

Going top use this for my wedding this december! Graci!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of putting the glitter in a large yard bag.then using spray glue on the branches , quickly putting them in the bag and gently shaking.what do you think?

Anonymous said...

i had a wreath outside for 7 years. over time it's lost some of its sparkle but now i know how to fix it !!

Lynn @ UpCountry Olio said...

This is such a great idea. I can't wait to try it now that winter is on it's way again. Thanks for sharing!

starhomecraft said...

Great idea!!!!I'' ll keep it in mind and try it for Christmas.Thanks for sharing it!Greetings from Greece Anastasia

Jeanine C. said...

Do you happen to know how many branches a bag of diamond crystals will cover? I am thinking about doing this for a ladies Christmas tea.

Thanks!
JC

Dana Frieling said...

Jeanine...It just depends on how much glue you apply. Liberal amounts will hold more crystals and vice versa. If you're trying to be budget-friendly, try rolling the branch in clear glitter first then roll in the diamond crystals. This way you still get sparkle but it may save a penny or two. Good luck!

pam said...

this is amazing are there different colors of the diamonds to use. is water beads the same thing. So want to do this project. New to crafts

Marsha Bauer said...

I can't find Colorfill Diamond Vase Filler. Any suggestion?

Dana Frieling said...

Marsha, You can buy them online at www.save-on-crafts.com. You could also click on the link in this post where Color Fill is listed and it'll take you straight to it. Good luck!

Melissa C. said...

Hi Dana,
My name is Melissa and I'm the editor for FaveCrafts.com. I'm so glad I happened to stumble upon your blog! I saw this tutorial and absolutely fell in love with it. I'd love to publish it on FaveCrafts. Please let me know if you'd like more info about this. You can reach me at mconner@primecp.com.

Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you!
Best,
Melissa :)

stephanie said...

genius!! and super cute! i'll definitely be doing this soon.

marika said...

thanks for sharing.

Hyphen Interiors said...

I tried it, Dana! I also had a bit of a fail and learned a few things. Check out my post on my experience with this. http://www.hypheninteriors.com/2012/11/diy-how-to-make-iced-branches-i-tried-it.html

Kerajinan Tangan said...

What a nice iced branches idea, i should try this wonderful craft idea
Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Adding lights to a clear ase holding the "sparkly sticks" makes them sparkle even more. Used them on my buffet as these thing for the appetizers for the holidays. They would be lovely for wedding decor as well.

Anonymous said...

Just wondering if kosher salt could be used? As anyone tried it?

Anonymous said...

WELL!!! This is just awesome. I love it. I am trying to find the crystals on line right now. Thank you' and your beautiful crafty mind so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea, thanks for sharing definitely going to try this

Anonymous said...

Thanks
for sharing, have lying around and wondered whether to chuck them out, lovely.

Tanya Bowers said...

I was thinking Epsom salts would work too

hamad uzair said...

Forex Latest News, Forex Trading Tips, latest forex trading business updates, trading updates, forex trading latest news, forex brokers directory, forex brokers list, Dollars news affairs, Stock Markets, stock market news, stock market analysis, technology news, international forex markets, international forex business news and all updates about Forex Trading
ForexAffairs.Com

Anonymous said...

I have a kitchen Christmas tree and I have sparkles on all my bought decorations...the peppermint large balls have crystals like this...the garland over the years us losing its "sugar" as we like to refer to it...I've always said to anyone who comments on my tree that I need to find out how to do that and.... now I know. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Someone can tell the materials in spanish? Thank u!

Anna D said...

German glass glitter? I've never heard of this! Bou the project looks great :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips