home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Friday, December 16, 2011

Built-in Reveal...FINALLY!

  Hip hip horray, it's Friday! I've been stringing you along for awhile now. Thanks for being patient as I've worked out the details of our TV niche built-in. It has been a work in progress and let me tell ya, friends, it hasn't been the easiest thing. Designing and decorating is HARD! 

It all started here. I was sick of looking at the mismatched hodge podge we threw together and decided to draw a design to fill the space. After you check out the fun pictures below, you have to come back and click on my original design to see how it looks absolutely nothing like what we ended up building! 

I was very excited when my husband jumped on board and decided to appease me make the magic happen. He used his awesome woodworking abilities and took this boring space from this...


To this...

AFTER

My "after" shot is pretty dark. I've been trying to wait for a sunny day to take photos, but it's been cloudy all week. I couldn't wait any longer so bare with the dark tones!


My 9 y.o. daughter painted this pug portrait. It provided inspiration for the rest of the accessories. You should have seen her face when I asked her if I could display it in the built-in!


This round ball "spoke" to me on at least two occasions while shopping at TJMaxx before I finally decided it needed to find a spot in my home. 


The hour glass is a favorite among my kiddos. They love to pull it down and use it when they're doing their homework. Hey, whatever works...I'm a fan of anything that makes homework less of a struggle!

Like the "trimwork?" I was impatient when it came to adding this detail so I improvised and used black grosgrain ribbon. Just slapped a little tape on it and no one would ever know it's not wood. What a great little tip to save time and money!


The background is beadboard, painted grey, then I added a black and gold, ikat chevron. Boy, this sure would have been easier if I had of figured out the design BEFORE we installed the beadboard! I was literally laying on my stomach painting zig zags. I felt like I had had a crazy workout the next morning. Who knew decorating could improve muscle tone?!



Gotta tie in the pug painting with one more pug accessory. He's my husband's favorite part of the styling!


I'm drawn to the simplicity of this little set-up. You don't have to add a million knick knacks to make your shelves look pretty.



I'm sure the styling of these shelves will evolve as I find fun new accessories. In the interest of finishing the project, I worked with what I had and what I could find to keep it budget-friendly. All of the accessories came from TJMaxx, Salvation Army and Tuesday Morning.


I hope to find 3 baskets to place on the floor eventually, but until then, the dogs are loving their "new home!"

Lighting would make this area killer. Maybe one day we'll have an electrician come in and wire it, but until then I found a little solution that was more cost effective...battery-operated touch lights from Home Depot. 



One more shot of the completed project...

So, friends, I hope it was worth the wait. It's fun and funky and my husband is a ROCKSTAR for helping my visions come to life. Let's give him a little love for the hidden wires, for building the false backing covered by beadboard and of course, for those wonderful floating shelves!

If you'd like to have something designed for your own home, contact me.

Happy weekend, friends!

Linking up to the following fabulous sites: Be different act Normal
The DIY Showoff        Hope Studios                   The Shabby Nest
Tip Junkie                    Blue Cricket Design
Savvy Southern Style   Somewhat Simple
House of Hepworths    Fireflies and Jellybeans

19 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

wow, dana! that looks amazing! love the backing!

Carly {a simple affair} said...

Ikate chevron?? I don't know what could be better. It looks absolutely amazing! What a wonderful before and after!

xoxo,
Carly

Kara from Kara Paslay Designs said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Amazing transformation. Lucky you, your husband is a skilled craftman. I see your cute little dogs love their new sleeping area.

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

GORGEOUS!!!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

pam {simple details} said...

Wow, Dana, it was worth wait! What a talented team you two are! Your idea for the chevron was brilliant but the paint detail is amazing! The accessories are perfect - simple enough to let the chevron make a statement!

Bad Joan said...

looks fantastic!


GTBB,
http://badjoan.blogspot.com
http://cookingjoan.blogspot.com

Samantha said...

Cool. How did you do your chevron?

Unknown said...

WOW! I absolutely love it! The paint job is amazing and I adore all the accessories! Great job! I would love for you to cone party with us today over at Passionatelyperfect.com! Your newest follower!

Jamie said...

Wow that came out really nice! Love the pugs and hourglass, too :)

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh this looks amazing! I love the chevron in the back. And that painting was done by your 9 year old!? What!? I totally assumed it was a professional painting before I read that. It's incredible!

SkinnyMeg said...

First off, WOW, your daughter is super talented because the painting is freaking awesome! I loooove the ikat chevron, so darling and the colors go perfectly!!

Erica M. said...

That looks awesome! I love that your dog is hanging out under there. And the painting your daughter did looks great!

Beth said...

Saw this project on kfdDesigns. I am glad to have stumbled upon your blog. Looking forward to reading your blog in 2012. Happy New Year!

Leslie said...

I LOVE this! I can't wait to show this to my husband. This is exactly what he's been looking to in our awkward area (though I'm pretty sure he didn't imagine it with metallic ikat...you are brilliant!).

Unknown said...

This is amazing! Thanks for visiting my blog so that I could find you! Love the ikat!

Online Video Downloader said...

Nice, it's too great. I really like it it's so helpful for me because I got interesting information from your work. Share this with the People.
Online Video Downloader

Unknown said...

شركة نقل عفش من جدة الى الخرج
شركة نقل عفش من جدة الى المجمعة
شركة نقل عفش من جدة الى المزاحمية
شركة نقل عفش من جدة الى الدمام
شركة نقل عفش من جدة الى الخبر
شركة نقل عفش من جدة الى الظهران
شركة نقل عفش من جدة الى الاحساء

Unknown said...

شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
شركة نقل عفش بجازان
شركة نقل عفش بالطائف
شركة نقل عفش بمكة
شركة نقل عفش بالحمدانية
شركة نقل عفش بينبع

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips