home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Inexpensive Oversized DIY Pop Art

We have some GIANT pug mugs hanging on our walls! Bryn got her art on this past weekend and created a few masterpieces to hang in our stairwell. We managed to create one-of-a-kind art for less than $30. Not bad, right?
This was a beyond easy project. I simply snapped a few shots of the most adorable pug models I know, then did a few minor edits in PicMonkey. Once I was pleased with the shots, I took my thumb drive to the nearest Staples and had engineering prints made. We're talking to the tune of 3 feet wide x 4 feet long. You can upload your images to make things faster but I was having technical difficulties. Go figure!
Just in case you're  unfamiliar with engineering prints, they're paper not glossy photos. That's what makes them so affordable...a mere $7 a piece.

Next, I handed my 11y.o. paints and brushes and gave her creative reign to "make art."


With a handful of highlights our prints quickly took on the feel of the ever so popular Pop Art.

Here you get a better perspective of the size. It was a happy accident that they fit this space so nicely. Honestly, this was such a spontaneous project, done on a whim, that I didn't take time to measure the space. 

  
Another way we made our art project so affordable...no frames! Frames of this magnitude would put us in the poor house. We dipped clear thumb tacks in the acrylic paints to add a bit 'o color then used large binder clips to hang them.

This look would also be great in a playroom or office.


Sometimes I feel a bit preachy by constantly telling you guys that your home decor "has to be personal," but I really don't think I can say it enough. It truly is what sets your home apart from others and makes it a place where your family feels comfortable. 

Are giant pictures of funky dogs something others will want in their house? Probably not, but does our daughter wake up every morning and know that we value her talents enough to hang her work on our walls?...Absolutely! That's all that matters in my book.

5 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

i could not agree more about home decor being personal! and i LOVE the art!!!! so fun!!!

pam {simple details} said...

This is going on my diy list asap!! They're so fun, and what a creative way to hang them. Bryn is such an amazing artist, I'd hang her art in my house anyday! This reminds me I need to send you a pin - it's a pug with paperwhites. :)

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

aww I love these! I have been wanting to make use of staples prints and the pugs are so cute!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

The engineering prints at Staples are the best deal going, aren't they?! I love how someone could take this project and make it personal with whatever black & white photo they choose - and the highlighting gives it that extra dimension, great idea!

A room with a view said...

This is unique and makes a bold, fun statement! Love the affordability of it, too. Very cute, Dana! It is always wonderful to involve kids in making it a home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips