home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Surprising words...



Have you ever had one of those moments when you think your child is wiser than you? I had one of those last night when I was sharing with Bryn the last couple days of house hunting events. She quietly listened to me tell her how frustrating things have been then said, "Mom, Don't give up because God gives his hardest battles to his strongest soldiers."

It was a surreal moment as I paused in the moment and realized my 10 year old was offering me support that was far beyond her years. I told her how much I appreciated that thought and asked where she had heard the quote. She told me she saved it as one of her itouch wallpapers. Ummm, maybe those things are good for something. ;)

To make things even better, as I sat down to write this post this morning I searched my pinterest boards for a quote to share and the image above was staring me in the face. Coincidence? Nah, that's just how God works. He's cool like that!

So, to fill you in on our house hunting adventures I'll give you the short and skinny. Closed doors. That's exactly what I faced time after time. From houses that "just didn't feel right" to visiting 2 schools who informed me they wouldn't have room for my kids next year and would have to bus them to different locations. I was a bit taken back when I ran into this roadblock. These are public schools I'm visiting, not private! I didn't even know it was possible to be turned away from a public school.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I even found myself knocking on a complete stranger's door and asking if he had any plans on moving soon! You hear fun stories like that all the time, but sadly my story didn't have one of those crazy, cool endings where he says, "Well, as a matter of fact..." Instead, he said, "No, not anytime soon. Maybe in a year or so."


Okay, so what's Plan B? Your guess is as good as mine. Did I mention we're closing on our house in 2 days? Tick, tick, tick...


John and I realized it was time to reassess our priorities. There's an area of town that we've been avoiding for multiple reasons, but there were 2 houses I had run across that stuck in my brain. This area is not even remotely close to John's work and it comes with quite the reputation for wealth and excess. I even found myself passing some of those superficial judgements until I took the time to actually drive through the town and see things first hand.

We visited the 2 houses and I was shocked when I walked into the second one and the words, "I like it. I like it a lot." came out of my mouth. Could it be?...

We're praying about it. Did you catch the part about it not being close to John's work? Yeah, something to the tune of an hour commute. That's hefty.

So, friends, you may not be facing a house hunting saga like my own, but if you find yourself in troubled times where you wonder what the heck God has planned for you, remember the wise words of my 10 year old... "Don't give up, because God gives his hardest battles to his strongest soldiers."

5 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Dana, I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers….I know you'll get it all figured out soon!

Katie @ PPS said...

I'll be praying for you. I am looking forward to hearing how this part of the story ends!

pam {simple details} said...

I love that girl of yours, wise beyond her years is right! Tell her I'm passing the quote along to a sweet classmate that was just diagnosed with leukemia, who btw is a rock!

pam {simple details} said...

I love that girl of yours, wise beyond her years is right! Tell her I'm passing the quote along to a sweet classmate that was just diagnosed with leukemia, who btw is a rock!

Cassie Bustamante said...

hang in there, dana. not only is bryn smart, but she is right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips