home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Transparent Tuesday

Transparent topic: Cherishing those you love

I guess the timing of this post is a little late, but if it's applicable to you, it may be worth storing away for next year!

I'm not an overly sentimental or gushy type person, but I started a tradition years back that has turned out to be something cherished...Daddy books. Each year I snap pictures of the kids doing things they love to do with John. Then, the week before Father's day, we print the pictures, head to store to buy paper and stickers and come home to put together their Daddy books. 

Each kid has their own book. I did the work the first couple of years then as their abilities have increased and improved, they've taken the reigns and now do it themselves!

A portion of Reed's pages are dedicated to a blue dress shirt. Each year Reed poses in John's shirt. It's fun to see him grow into it. The sleeves are rolled less and less as the years pass. I'm sure he'll fit right into it one of these days (way too soon).

Reed's Daddy Book Snippets:



This was the first year Reed was old enough to "draw" a picture for John.


I love capturing his spirit in these pictures. I stay out of it and simply instruct him to do what he thinks daddy would like.

 Sometimes instead of drawing, they pick out stickers that represent things they like to do with John.


 The last several years have looked very similar to each other...hunting, hunting and more hunting!



Reed's picture idea for this year...grillin' up something good!

Bryn's Daddy Book Snippets:

Fishing and worms, 2 of Bryn's favorite things to do with John when she was little. John misses these days!

Going to get sprinkle donuts was a common daddy/daughter date night when Krispy Kreme was close. 

 When they were too little to write letters to John, I would "interview" them and write their answers. A few of Bryn's quotes: "I like to make crafts with him!" and "He teached me how to do a brand new prayer!"

Picking out the background paper is something the kid's look forward to each year. Reed's is always camo and Bryn's typically has cupcakes involved.

It's great watching their handwriting mature, along with the sentiments. 

These books are a two-fold blessing. The kids have a chance to 'speak' to John from their heart and John has a treasure of notes and memories reminding him how much he's impacting their lives. Our family says 'I love you' all the time, but when you take the time to write the reasons...it drives the point home a little deeper!

It wouldn't be a typically Transparent Tuesday if there weren't a little prayer involved, friends! My intentions through this post are to encourage you to cherish those you love, in whatever form that may be. Prayers don't always have to be for sad things or struggles. Let's celebrate today with prayers of gratitude and thanksgiving for God's blessing of the special people in our lives.

Got a special prayer request? Leave a comment or send me an email: dfrieling1@gmail.com.

3 comments:

pam {simple details} said...

Aww, my favorite Transparent Tuesday yet! What a priceless tradition, I'm sure John treasures his books, who wouldn't?! The love between your family is always so evident and heartwarming, thanks for sharing your idea!

Whitney @ Drab to Fab Design said...

This is such a great idea! Your kiddos will love to look back at these one day too. I love the topic of cherishing those we love because it's really easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life. Stopping to say "I love you" a couple extra times is priceless!

Hyphen Interiors said...

Aw, adorable!! So sweet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips