home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

What do I do with this space?

Remember the great kitchen remodel I shared with you last year? Well, that same wonderful family reached out to me again to help with their kiddos rooms recently. I love designing kid spaces!

When I went over for the initial design meeting, I got the big, "What do I do with this space?" question.  Their spunky 9 y.o. daughter is lucky enough to have a great little alcove (actually, it's a pretty decent size) set off of her bedroom.

We brainstormed a bit and decided to create a reading niche that doubles as the "I wish I had that in my room" space. Did I mention this precious little lady is spunky?! Her design goal is to have her friends speak these words when they walk into her room. No pressure, right?!

So, here's the plan...


Mom and Dad want a place that reflects her personality but will grow with her, i.e. nothing that's too hard to undue as she turns into a teenager. Hence, why we decided to paint the space white and use black vinyl dot decals. Daughter gets something young and trendy while parents get to peel those suckers right off the wall when daughter decides polka dots are too juvenile. Win/win!

Let's talk atmosphere. Can't you just see this little alcove's ceiling lined with those great party globe light strings? And, don't forget the sparkle that every 9 y.o. needs, a.k.a. crystal chandy.

Gymnastics is a huge part of her life so why not bring it into the space? Mom and dad came up with the great idea of blowing up a picture of their little gymnast doing the splits on the beam. I've sent them on their way to Staples to print a black and white engineering print then we'll bust out the mod podge and a canvas and bring their vision right to life!

What do you think? Did we accomplish our goal? Will her friends wish for a similar space? ;)

4 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

How fun. I wish I had a space like this!!!!! Love the fact that the dots are vinyl….low commitment, big impact. It's going to be great, Dana.

Cassie Bustamante said...

that chair is so fun! love the plan- girly but modern. and i didn't have to click back- i remember that kitchen! :)

Whitney @ Drab to Fab Design said...

It's going to be adorable! Will you show pics of the space?!

pam {simple details} said...

Oh yes, it will be the envy of her friends! Can't wait to see the dots, they're perfect for kids' rooms!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips