home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Monday, March 12, 2012

$4 Pottery Barn Chair Makeover

Good morning, friends! It's spring break around here so I'm up early getting a post ready so my kiddos and I can play the rest of the day. Or should I say, so I can play chauffeur/ play date coordinator the rest of the day?! 

Nonetheless, here's the breakdown of my $4 chair redo. For the cost of a can of spray paint, this chair went from 'clashing in the new room' to 'making a statement in the new room'!


I had posted this picture earlier in the week and loved the cute little stools. So when I was thinking of painting Miss Pinky, this idea seemed like a no-brainer!


So, here's what you'll need if you're planning on doing a similar project:
           1) painter's tape 2) trash bags 3) spray paint
 Cutting off the top of the trash bag helps you slip it right over the top.

 Decide how big you'd like your white space to be then mark it with the painter's tape. I tried measuring, then got fed up with the curves making it difficult so I ended up eyeballing it.

 Cover the bottom of your chair. Looks like it's ready for a haircut, right?!

 I used a flat finish for the white portion, only because that's what I had on-hand already. I would recommend covering the entire chair with a gloss finish. The flat finish left a gritty feeling, but since it's only at the top, I didn't worry about it.

 Give it a little spray. Two or three coats should be sufficient.

 Now peel back your tape and enjoy the first part of your handy work.

 Looks cute like this, but pink doesn't match anymore remember? So bring on the green!

 Now, cover the white and the base of the chair.

 I used grey primer for the next step (because I had it already), but I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary.

Give it a quick little rub with a fine grit sandpaper, then spray with your gloss finish color of choice. I used Ivy Leaf for those of you who were wondering.


So friends, there ya have it...a new chair for just a few dollars. I love saving money, don't you?!

If you'd like help updating things in your own home, contact me. I'd love to work with you!

Linking to:

12 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

so cute! i love that look!

Stephanie Shepherd said...

Great redo Dana! Your version is so much nicer than the original color!

Ange said...

What a great idea! That turned out great and so inexpensive. THanks for sharing this morning!

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

What a great DIY! Yours turned out wonderfully! Hope you have a great week, dear.

pam {simple details} said...

Love the new look, much more interesting with the two-tone paint! It's perfect in the Woodlands, too!

A room with a view said...

Fabulously done, Dana. I love the look and you made it look so easy. Also looks like you have a neat space to work in for projects like these. I currently use my back patio and keep my fingers crossed that there is no wind.

Carly Haslee said...

Yes, yes I do love saving money and fabulous chairs! Great quick and easy DIY project!

Unknown said...

Adorable! I am loving this "dipped" trend and this piece is perfect. The green had me immediately even without the "dip" of white! Enjoy your Spring Break!

the cape on the corner said...

what a great redo! glad you were able to make this fun chair work in your new color scheme.

Laura said...

i am AMAZED by this chair redo - seriously girl, you got some mad skills!! it is beyond lovely, i have some ikea chairs i could totally try that on- so glad i found your lovely blog!

Abbie said...

Love, love, LOVE this! So fun and unexpected! : )

Unknown said...

I am so in love with this makeover, that chair has some mad character! Very cute!! I would love if you could share this at my cheap finds and transformations party, I still can't believe that this only cost $4! Here's the link if you are interested, hope to see you at the party! http://www.thescottscrib.com/2012/03/lathriftas-cheap-finds-and_16.html

Have a great Saturday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips