home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

How to add Texture to Paintings

 I broke out the paint brushes for take 2 of teaching myself to paint. If you'll think back with me, you'll remember I was inspired by a piece of art on a past moodboard. I finally got up the nerve to give it a go. I used supplies I had on hand in case it was a bust, this way I wouldn't be out any $$!



 A close-up of the texture.


The original artist used oil paints, but this is what I had on hand...
 See the secret ingredient?...Nail Hole filler! I started by covering my blank canvas board with the filler to create the desired design. It goes on pink so it's easy to see. After playing a little and getting it just right, set aside and let it dry. When the filler has turned completely white, you're ready to paint.

I channeled a little David Bromstad, so when the painting wasn't going the way I wanted, I dipped my brush in water and let the mixing begin. David's a little more sophisticated and actually uses a spray bottle.

If you're a real artist, I apologize right now for my ignorance of art supplies. I'm hoping to become more educated as I dive into this awesome world!
 Don't have the right colors? That's okay, just mix it all up and experiment until you get what you like. It's like being a kid again...playing with paint. It's kind of freeing, you should give it a try!
Anyone noticing the beautiful Reader's Digest book under the painting? That's a recent garage sale find! You won't believe what else I bought. I'll share soon. But for now, I'll tell you how I described them to a friend... "so ugly, they're awesome!" Think 50's avocado green and harvest gold. yikes!

If  you're interested in design services, click here to learn more.

9 comments:

pam {simple details} said...

Seriously, talented!! Who would have known, I thought you sophisticated materials! I snap up those Reader's Digest books any time I see them. Can't wait for the 'ugly find!'

A room with a view said...

You have talent, Dana. It is not about what tools you use or the colors or subject - the artwork should mean something to you because you created it and if you enjoy the process and seeing it on display after, even better! I really like the dimension and the colors.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

So pretty - I love it!!

Melissa @ Rooms said...

Nice work! And old readers digest books are the best! We got them when my husband's grandma died - no one wanted them except me! I think they are awesome, I love the colors and funky patterns (I have some sitting on the end table right next to me:)

Julia - the Urban Slant said...

what a great piece of art!

Diana @ Your Day Simplified said...

You did an amazing job! You should be very proud of yourself for 2 reasons. #1 because it turned out beautifully and #2 just for trying something new! Rock on girl!!

Unknown said...

Love your blog! consider me your newest follower!! jandjbascom.blogspot.com

Abby M. Interiors said...

This is one of my favorite paintings on Etsy, and when I saw your first image, I thought you bought it! This turned out so well. Congratulations on taking a chance and creating something so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, great job!! I also thought you puchased it! Cindy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips