home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Transparent Tuesday



Today's transparent topic: Priorities
See the look on my son's face? This is how I felt several times last week...like screaming!
What drove me to feeling like this, you ask? Conversations about sports schedules and how the hectic lifestyle that goes hand-in-hand with upper-level sports is literally driving families apart.

I'm not sure how to get through this post without climbing upon my soapbox, but I'll try. Let's start with this...do you have your priorities straight? Are the things that are most important to you in life, the things that receive the majority of your attention? It's not just sports that get in the way...it can be anything.

This past weekend my family and I went hiking and enjoyed some quality time without computers, phones, commitments, etc. No distractions, just nature and family. It was very refreshing!


While climbing up this 500 ft. piece of granite (think of how many countertops that is!), I began to wonder why we don't do stuff like this more often? Sadly, we allow ourselves to get so busy with other 'stuff' that we rarely make it a priority to slow down and just be.

 Anyone else think these rocks look like a giant turtle?

Isn't this what matters?

Shouldn't we be slowing down enough to cherish that fact that our 8 y.o. dresses like his father and wants to hold his hand?

If we don't carve out the time, it'll never be there. Think of all the missed opportunities and missed conversations all because we allow ourselves to be filled with the insignificant things that suck up our precious time.

So, the purpose of transparent tuesdays is to encourage people to be real with one another. Let's work on being real this week and feeling 100% okay with turning down a few requests so that we can focus on our real priorities, whatever they may be. Take the time to slow down, re-evaluate and make sure your time is being spent on the people and things you love most.

Another purpose of this post is for me to share the gift of prayer with you. I'd be honored to talk to God about you today. If you're struggling with something or your priorities have gotten out of whack, let's pray about it. Leave me a comment or send me an email: dfrieling1@gmail.com. Prayer is powerful, friends!

4 comments:

pam {simple details} said...

What great photos, and priceless of your boys! It is a tough balancing act with sports, you absolutely have to be intentional about 'scheduling' in family time!

Hyphen Interiors said...

Also a soapbox of mine if I'm not careful! Good post. I agree - time with family rather than being busy (which can make you feel important) is most important. It is a balancing act, though.

SoSimple said...

Good Morning. What great pics of you and your family. Definitely something to cherish. TT's are my favorite, you never cease to hit the spot. Thanks for bringing me back down to earth. Especially after I just posted a "post and run" because I have so much to do.

henning love said...

wonderful photos. i love how you go hiking together as a family, making family time a priority is so important and vital to their upcoming and keeping a family close together!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips