home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Friday, July 27, 2012

A little 'fun' with commercial design

Woo hoo! We made it to Friday and I'm so excited about the Olympics opening ceremonies tonight. Swimming and gymnastics are pretty big in our household so we'll all be glued to the TV. Anyone else pumped to watch the "Flying Squirrel?" If you don't know who I'm talking about, you must do a little research...you won't be disappointed!

All this fun leads me to my score of a find yesterday at West Elm. These cute little mugs were marked down to $1.97 each. They didn't have all the initials I needed to have one for each family member so I stood there forever for a few minutes trying to think of something creative with the "leftover" letters.
And hence the 'fun' began! They're hanging out in our glass front cabinet, but I have a few more purchases to make before this area's ready for a full frontal shot.

(**Sidenote: If you don't have a West Elm close by, these are available on-line for $3.99. Wouldn't they make cute teacher gifts with a coffee packet stuffed inside? Just a thought...)

Moving on...

My father-in-law owns an office building and has enlisted my help in designing one of the suites. We decided on a unique paint job that I thought would be fun to share with you guys. This could easily be done in your own home.





Clean, fresh and a little funky but it still lends itself to being 'professional.' I love how the stripe unifies the entire space. A great bonus was the light gray baseboard that gave us a double stripe without extra painting.

For those of you who may be curious, we color matched Benjamin Moore's Harmony (AF-90) for the main wall color and Flint (AF-560) for the stripe.

Hope you all have a great weekend, friends. I'm hoping to show you a completed ceiling project. Fingers crossed!

7 comments:

pam {simple details} said...

Oh, I need those FUN mugs! I have the perfect spot in my kitchen I've been wanting something a little whimsical, it totally fits the bill. Can't wait for the ceiling reveal and more of the office! :)

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

yay progress!

SoSimple said...

Hey girl! That looks awesome, way to think outside the box with a border stripe :). And those mugs are too cute, can't wait for the full frontal reveal. Ha!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I love that detail in the office, Dana. Makes the space seem a little more custom doesn't it?
And those mugs - so cute! I am in desperate need for cute new mugs - ours are original to our marriage - and in 15 years I have never loved them. The ones you found at West Elm are much more "fun" :)

A room with a view said...

We have a newly opened west elm by us and I am planning to take a quick look this week. Cute mugs! Love the look in the office space - it does look professional and great color choice, Dana.

Unknown said...

FAntastic idea Lisa! I love it. Great impact for very little $$$.
Nancy
powellbrowerhome.com

Whitney @ drab to fab design said...

Isn't it amazing what a little paint can do?! Still very professional, but much more interesting than the plain jane walls before!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips