home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Transparent Tuesday


Today's transparent topic: Coincidence vs. Holy Spirit
Okay, so do you remember waaay back when, when I shared in another Transparent Tuesday post about my relationship struggles with my brother? If not, you may want to read it so this post makes a little more sense.

So, a quick little recap...I love my brother deeply but we don't have a lovey dovey relationship. In fact, if we have a full conversation once a quarter then it's a very good year. In light of this, when I was shopping last week it's safe to say my brother was quite possibly the last thing on my mind. That is, until I saw this...


"Wow! Those are my brother's initials, how random!" I thought. And would you believe that these were the only letters in sight? I snapped a quick picture and seized the opportunity to send him a text to let him know I thought about him while I was out shopping.

Here's where my insecurities come into play. I knew I had to send the text quick before I chickened out because honestly I was expecting him to think it was totally cheesy. Or, that I'd make him feel uncomfortable and he wouldn't even respond. He passive aggressively told me once that I live a charmed life and he wishes "he could live life as John's wife."

Okay, so I totally sold my brother short, because here was our texting conversation:
Me: "Thought of u today while out shopping!" (with the above pic attached)
Brother: "Very cool! Think of me now as I am..." (I left the rest off due to its personal nature.)

I was so honored that he shared a side of himself with me that is typically closed off (to me at least). I responded to him and this text resulted in a phone conversation later that evening. It was the most transparent conversation we've had in many, many years!

This is a ton of background to get to my main point. If you're still reading at this point, thanks for hanging in there with me.
Now, I pose this question to you...Do you think seeing his initials in the store was a coincidence or was it the work of the Holy Spirit?


Initially, I passed this off as 'really strange,' but the more I thought about it it became overtly obvious to me that this was NOT a coincidence but rather God was making good on many, many prayers that have been prayed.

He knew I wouldn't have an inkling of a desire to talk to my brother that day so He smacked me in the face with something so obvious that I couldn't help but think of him! Boy, I'm glad I didn't let my insecurities get in the way and keep me from sending that text. There's no doubt in my mind that the 'nudge' I was feeling, was a gift from the Holy Spirit.

I urge you today, friends, to change the way you see things. Open your eyes to the workings of the Lord instead of passing things off as coincidences. Once I started living my life looking through "God eyes," I found myself feeling much more secure and at peace. It's amazing to see His fingerprints all over your daily happenings!

Prayer had such a powerful impact in this situation in my own life and I know it will change your life too. If you'd like me to talk with God about you and any struggles you're wrestling with, please leave me a comment or send me an email: dfrieling1@gmail.com. Nothing's too big or too small to take before the Lord.

3 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

i definitely think the signs are placed there for us, but it's up to us to read them. :)

pam {simple details} said...

So cool! I absolutely think he has a hand in much more than we attribute to him. I even think he saves the close parking spaces for me when I'm running late! :)

Whitney @ drab to fab design said...

Great post!! Don't you love it when he "smacks you in the face"?! I'm glad to hear this, as I've been struggling a bit with an old friend. Maybe your post today is his way of saying to me, "go ahead and call her now." Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips