home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Monday, July 30, 2012

Black Paneled Ceiling...Check!

High five to the hubster today! John worked his tail off this weekend and finished paneling the guest room ceiling. This ended up being a HUGE project and he claims it was more difficult than our diamond wall. I had the easy job...prep, sanding and painting. John had the hard part...12 foot ceiling, enough said.

Let's enjoy his handiwork, shall we?...
I figured out quickly that it's hard to photograph black ceilings. Especially when you're trying to capture  sheen and wood grain details. Without the glare from the windows, you wouldn't be able to tell this is wood, although in person it's very noticeable.

Part 2 of this project will include molding or trim to frame out this beauty and painting the vent black to make it disappear. We're taking baby steps.

This picture best depicts the overall look. Next up, sell the mirror on the right and trash the iron art on the left.

Project Recap:
 Before

 During

After

Project supplies:
(6) 4ft. x 8ft. plywood utility panels ripped into 8 inch panels
3 cans Rustoleum gloss black paint
High density foam roller 
sandpaper
nail gun
black electrical tape

Helpful hint: Due to my poor math skills and my Lowes helper, Mr. Cranky's inability to cut extremely accurate panels, we had a few spots that left tiny gaps. I didn't want to paint the entire ceiling black before paneling it, so we snuck in a strip of black electrical tape here and there to 'hide' the gaps.

Lots more to do in this room before we call it done! Stay tuned...

12 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

wow! drama! it looks so chic!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Oh my gosh Dana! What a huge and awesome project! It looks great and I can't wait to see what else you do in here!!

Unknown said...

I am sure this is even more stunning in person. Funny thing is...my neck felt strained looking at the picks like I was bending to look up!!! DUH. lol

A room with a view said...

Oh my, Dana, that is a magnificent ceiling. It is difficult to take pictures of glossy black anything but it looks amazing and I am sure that it looks even better up close. Great job!

pam {simple details} said...

OH MY!! What a statement that ceiling makes, and it's the perfect room with those high ceilings and architectural details. Kudos to John! Can't wait for more...

Unknown said...

Great job! so impactful, I love it.
Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Unknown said...

Great job! so impactful, I love it.
Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

jessica@hillcountryhomebody.blogspot.com said...

Oh John is a Trooper! Looks great! Can't wait to see what else is in store!

SoSimple said...

You're awesome, 'nough said!! (oh and you too John) Ha!

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

what a sport he was- it looks amazing though, and I can't wait to see more of this room!

Whitney @ drab to fab design said...

It turned out so beautiful Dana!! I love the dramatic effect it has, and great idea to use black electrical tape to hide the gaps!

p.s. Your hubby might need a neck massage after all that work! :)

Hyphen Interiors said...

Wowza! Very cool! What a huge project. Lots of work, but it looks great.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips