home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Monday, October 22, 2012

Botanical Charts

Good Monday morning, friends. I'm happy to report that my decorating addiction has been further supported by the means of last Friday's garage sale! It never ceases to amaze me how quickly 25 cents can add up.

I'm a huge fan of designer, Lauren Liess. When I first started reading blogs, her's was one that I would stalk make sure to read everyday. I was oddly drawn to her style yet there were a few elements she used that I questioned. I wasn't sure if I liked them personally, but was certain she was able to create an amazing room. Specifically, I couldn't decide if I was a fan of the black botanical prints she used.

I consider Lauren a trend setter in design and, of course, after seeing these charts in her house, they started to pop up everywhere. Well, I supposed my tastes began to change as well. Once we painted our guest room ceiling black, I knew immediately the walls were screaming for something similar.

There was only one problem...the price. These babies are not cheap!

For example, guess how much the below poster is on sale for? A cool $520, marked down from $750. Ouch, right?

Lauren was kind enough to share a great source, The Evolution Store, but my little budget still couldn't swing $198 for one poster. 


Having the frugal DIY brain that I do, I mulled this over and over in my mind trying to figure out a way to replicate this look. I thought about making them various different ways. It probably wouldn't have been that hard, but when I was shopping at Ikea and saw these...

I felt like doing a little happy dance! A great knock-off for only $19.99. I'll take two please.


Patience and my indecisiveness certainly paid of this time. And, isn't it funny how seeing images over and over can change your mind on whether or not you like something? Gee, why in the world would I ever question the design choices of Lauren? She's good, I tell ya...to say the least.

3 comments:

pam {simple details} said...

I just saw them @ Ikea last week, I was so surprised! I'm doing a gallery wall for a client, we're using Mary Delaney's prints (much smaller, but she has a book and you can view them online) I think I first heard about her from Jenny @ Little Green Notebook. She is an amazing artist and has such an interesting story. Yours look great in the guest room!

Cassie Bustamante said...

i wondered if yours were the ikea ones i had just seen- love them! a steal!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I love Lauren's style too, and her use of botanicals all over the place (her last laundry room comes to mind.) Yours look great in your guest room, I like how they pick up on the darker stained wood in the bookshelves and of course that awesome deep dark planked ceiling!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips