home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Friday, April 27, 2012

New Pillows and Blue vs. Gold

Is it just me or has this been a looong week? Friday, I'm really happy you came to visit me today!

Progress continues to be made in our bedroom updating project. I've selected pillows and I'm really pleased with how it's coming together. Since we do things on a budget over here at the Frieling Casa, these pillows are compliments of Ikea and Target.
Oh yes, the hubster hung my art!

Now for the ongoing saga...what color should those silly nightstands be? Right now we're living in a multi-colored world as I try to find my way out of the land of indecisiveness. 

A broader view...

 Still working on what to hang above the bed and lamps. Oh yeah, the lamps...what do you think? I picked them up at TJMaxx yesterday and haven't removed the plastic just yet. Pretty sure they're staying...I love the natural texture they bring to the room.

 Notice the legs aren't even finished on the gold piece (the sides and back aren't either!). I used Rub 'n Buff this time and let me tell ya friends, that's the way to go! It was a million times easier than painting the trim. Of course, when all is said and done, there will be more accessories to finish off the look. Baby steps...

And one more peek at the pillow prettiness...

Don't be surprised when you check back in next week and I've painted the nightstands yet another color, I'm a glutton for punishment like that! I'm usually quick in my decision-making, but not this time. That's usually my clue that something's off. I'll get there...eventually!

Well, that's all I've got for ya today, friends. Do something fun this weekend and don't forget to sprinkle in a little kindness while you're at it!

12 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

love the colors in your room- so pretty! and i like both versions of the nightstand.. i think it just depends on whether you want warm or cold for them. but the gold sounds easier... SO....

pam {simple details} said...

Yes, to the pillows!! I think the scale of the lamps is a tad small when I see them in the overall photo, although the texture is amazing!
And, I'm also in the 'land of indecisiveness' for the nightstands. Gold is more my style, but maybe not yours??

Diane said...

Love your new orange pillow! Since you are still entertaining the idea of other colors for the nightstands, I noticed a couple of other mirrored cabinets on blogs yesterday. Check out the bottom picture:
http://goodlifeofdesign.blogspot.com/2012/04/are-you-comfortable-mixing-design.html
-- the piece is painted a light neutral color that blends with the wall color (an option for your nightstands would be the same blue as your walls):

Also, there are many more examples on pinterest if you search mirrored furniture:
http://pinterest.com/search/?q=mirrored+furniture – I even saw your exact nightstand there, painted a light blue color.
I think your nightstands would be nice painted in the same pretty silvery gray color as your bedspread. I know you are trying to relate the color of the paint to something else in the room, so think the wall color and bedspread would be good colors choices.

Melissa @ Rooms said...

Tough call..I like both colors, but the gold seems to sticking out to me more. I agree with one of the above comments, about the lamps - maybe slightly too small scale, but great texture. I love the look you are putting together!

Tanya from Dans le Lakehouse said...

Great pillows, lovely artwork, great textiles. I love everything! I think both table colours work, but I'm partial to the gold. I would be on team blue if it was a darker hue. Or, like another commented said, dark silver would nice. But I like gold. Gosh, these decisions can be so tough, right? Too many options for us DIY'ers, lol.

sarah. said...

I vote for the gold too~

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Oooh tough decision. I really liked the blue until I saw the gold, especially next to your dark bed!
Having brought home 4 sets of lamps myself and returned them all, I know how tricky the lamp thing can be. I love those lamps of yours - the base and the shade - but they are low. Maybe if you hung some framed pics above both of them it would fill out the space better??

Kim Venable said...

It's still a lamp issue for me. I think its the scale that is off now. They need to be taller, especially given the height of your bed posts. If you're married to the lamps then you might remedy the issue with some really tall, sleek artwork on each side of the bed above the nightstands. As for the nightstands -- if it is between gold or blue, I'd opt for the gold. Good luck & happy decorating!

L. E. Bruce said...

As much as I looove the blue, I think the gold looks better with your color scheme. The lamps are nice but way too short. I love the new fabric on the little benches. I would never have guessed that it would work so well.

Anonymous said...

Dana,
love the room and all the progress you've made...seeing the shot of the bed and both night tables, I'm thinking you should either paint them silver, or silver leaf them over the blue-I think the fact that they are mirrored is what should be taking center stage, not the distractive trim...just a thought-regardless the room looks GREAT!!!
Kate

Maureen Stevens said...

I say Gold is perfect! Adore those mirrored night stands!

Holly Gruszka said...

It's looking GREAT. Love the pillows and my vote is for gold all the way. It looks really good with everything else. And I really like those lamps a lot - if you keep those I think you need some art or something to draw the eye up some.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips