home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Monday, November 7, 2011

Tile that looks like wood?!

If you've looked through my house tour pictures, there's no denying that I love geometric designs. It's an element that I've chosen to repeat throughout almost every room in our house. Today I'm going to share how I created this geometric pattern with "wood" in an outdoor space. This "room" hasn't been featured quite yet, but today's its debut!

Welcome to our back porch...

For months, after moving in, I searched for materials to cover the concrete patio. I entertained ideas like sun decking, painted concrete and stamped concrete. I had a "vision" and really had a hard time finding the materials to carry it through. Until I stumbled upon this...


It looks just like wood, right? Well, it's not...it's TILE! This was perfect since I needed it to be in an outdoor space that receives a ton of sunlight and traffic. 


Here's a close-up so you can get a good feel for the texture it shows. Of course, there are many other colors to choose from and the newer versions have that wonderful handscraped look!

When I was conveying my idea for our porch to contractors and friends, repeatedly I heard, "I don't get it." or "That's going to be too busy." I wasn't getting much support, but I could see it in my head and it looked great!

I'm really glad I didn't listen to the nay-sayers because I'm really happy with the way it turned out.



I love how the "wood" brings the regular tile to life. By adding it as an accent, we saved lots of money and created a unique look in the process.


If you have a great idea, but you're getting lots of negative feedback, stand firm with your vision. After all, you are the one who lives in the house and you are the one who has to look at your creation. If you know it's something you and your family will enjoy, then go with your gut!

What about you? Have you overcome Debbie downers, followed your gut and been tickled pink with the outcome? 

If you need help bring your "visions" to life, contact me so the fun can begin!

5 comments:

pam {simple details} said...

Wonder what the nay-sayers are saying now! Such a beautifully custom look! Wish tile was an option in CO.

I almost bought that furniture set, I looked at it again and again!

jessica@hillcountryhommebody.blogspot.com said...

Love it Dana! We've entertained the idea of these "wood" floors inside due to wanting the look but not the wear and tear. I get nervous about not liking it inside but I think this outdoor installation is perfect!

Design Blooms said...

Love the look of wood tile, especially when it has more gray tones mixed in! Yours looks great, and I love how your weren't afraid to do your thing!

Anonymous said...

Love this!!

Jessica08 said...

Magnificent idea Dana. Seriously you transformed your back porch super classy and spell-bound look. Love your wood looking refreshments. Indeed it's hard to find the perfect materials to cover the patio. But you did that fantastically well. Love it simply.
I also feel a desire to recommend bay area concrete service especially for the home owners living in Bay area. Maybe some guys find this useful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips