home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Monday, December 3, 2012

Christmas Mantle Decor

It's all about the mantle today. Do you find it hard to decorate your mantle? Ours is relatively bare all year, due to my minimalist tendencies, so sometimes it's a bit challenging for me to "clutter" it up. I tend to mix things up every year and try new looks. Click here to check out last year's decor.

This year I wanted to add more white. I lucked out and found these pitchers at Marshall's for $7.99 each. I picked up three due to that good 'ole decorate with odds rule. I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to put in them until I got home and started playing with my existing decor. Here's a close-up of the finished product...
A pine sprig, red sticks and turkey feathers. My husband is to thank for those wonderful feathers, they're straight from the turkey. Is that gross? It may be to some, but it sure made John a happy camper when he saw that I used part of his "trophy" in our Christmas decor! 

See the fabulous stockings? My mom cross-stiched them both. I wish you could see the detail and the thousands of stitches in them...simply a treasure.

Don't overlook the twig deers hanging out below. Tiny ornaments adorn their antlers just to add a touch of color.

And...the wide shot, to help wrap this post up.

Need a few pointers for your own mantle? 
Here are a several things that I find helpful: 
1) Keeping it symmetrical helps with ease.
2) Pick your colors and roll with it. Using only 2 to 3 colors helps create a pleasing aesthetic.
3) Work with your existing decor. My pictures and mirror are not easy to remove so I had to incorporate them into the overall design. The snowflake stocking holders and iron twig deers help unify the look since they're black and geometric.
4) MOST IMPORTANTLY...do what makes you happy! If you love tons of decor and lights, then add it. If candles do it for you, then light them. If adding dead turkey feathers tickles your fancy, then do it.

Remember, not all mantles have to be pinterest-worthy. If it makes you and your family happy and adds that special touch of Christmas to your home, then that's all that matters.

4 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

great tips and i love the greenery! we have very colorful stockings and they are all different- red and green unified them which is why i chose those colors for the room overall and it totally helped!

pam {simple details} said...

Love the simple, modern look mixed with nature and your stockings are amazing! Mantles are hard, great job!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I love your tips for doing what you love, Dana. I like your simple mantle, not too cluttered, but festive! Those stockings are amazing - I can't believe your mom made them! How special.

Unknown said...

I really love the turkey feathers mixed with the pines! Very pretty and different :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips