home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Friday, February 10, 2012

DIY Sea Urchin Accessories

Have you ever had something that just seems to follow you around...accessory, idea, paint color, etc.  You know, it's like being pregnant. You barely know a soul who's pregnant, then suddenly you're expecting and you're surrounded by preggos!

Anyway, this week I've been followed around by a sea urchin. That sounds funny, right? Well, I'm not kidding. Years ago, I began seeing this great little accessory pop up in magazines and I loved it. I checked out the price and knew it was too pricey to find its way into my house. Oh well, I'll just keep admiring it from afar, I thought. Then, when I was shopping in Dallas last weekend I spotted a knock-off! Hip hip hooray for cheap versions! I snagged that puppy right up and didn't even think twice.




Take a peek at the original pieces in all their beauty...


Notice, not only the gorgeous ceiling piece, but the bookshelves are full of little urchins!

Getting back to how these little guys have been following me this week. You see, I bought 1 but really wanted all 3 sizes. I was thinking a wall grouping would look quite nice. Then of course, I ran across this picture on Pinterest a few days ago.

Then the very next day I was reading Design Bloom's post about her striped walls and looky look what I spied...
She was so kind to share the much needed information that she made her sea urchins out of...
this:
this:

and this:

Now, I can stop kicking myself for not buying the other 2 and I can make my very own! Isn't it great when things work out that way?

We're off to Dallas again this weekend for my brother's wedding. It should be lots of fun. I hope you find time to do something you'll enjoy this weekend, too.

If you're in need of a little design help, contact me. On-line and in- home consultations available.

9 comments:

How to quit said...

Great Work. i like it.

pam {simple details} said...

Did you hear that scream all the way to Austin?!! I want one!! I think I even have all the supplies, now a little time and I'll be set! Thanks for passing along the idea!

Julia - the Urban Slant said...

I have these urchins in all three sizes from Zhush,and LOVE them. Now I'm upset because this DIY looks so easy!! xo

rachel @ Just a Touch of Gray said...

AWESOME!!! Love those things!:)

Miki {Becoming What I Always Was} said...

I love that ceiling piece! Incredible. I have tons of urchins, but they are from mexico and dried up and brittle. They certainly catch your eye!

Kayla @ Your Day Simplified said...

I love the ceiling piece too. What a fun post! Reminds me of an Anthropologie Craft Day post we did a while back... Check it out at http://www.yourdaysimplified.com/anthropologie-craft-day/. Thanks!

henning love said...

making one yourself would be such a quick and easy weekend project that would produce fabulous decor results!

A room with a view said...

These look amazing and it would be fun to try to make one. One could make them as full or as sparse as one prefers.

Carly Haslee said...

So jealous of your find because I am the same way--not paying that much for those bad boys. I see a project in my near future! You styled yours perfectly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips