I've noticed that Pinterest has become my go-to when I need to turn off my brain. It used to be TV, but now I'd much rather spend my time perusing pins. I even told my family I was ready to get rid of cable but they didn't share my enthusiasm!
It's obvious that Pinterest is handy for many reasons, but have you ever looked at it as a defining tool? If someone were to ask you to define your style, could you easily answer?
Here are a few pointers to give you a little insight.
- First, start pinning without intention. I know, I know...you have to organize your boards. That aside, allow yourself to pin anything that makes you think, "I really like that!
- Next, find that trusty little 'Pins' button that drops down when you click on your name in the upper righthand corner of the page. This will take you to a page that shows all your pins.
- Now it's time to dissect. Scroll through your pictures and see if you can find common threads.
Possible questions to keep in mind may include:
- What colors draw me in? If you look close you'll probably notice 2 or 3 colors that run throughout.
- Is there an accessory that your pins have in common? My pins typically have really great chandeliers/lighting, although the chandelier isn't typically what prompted me to pin it in the first place.
What are the patterns? Over and over again, I see symmetry in my pins and definitely tons of geometric patterns.
Another pattern throughout my pins are natural elements like wood, stone and plants:
So how do you apply this knowledge and define your style?
After you've studied your boards you should be feeling a little more secure in your tastes/preferences. Next time you're shopping, keep these elements in mind when making selections. You've paid close attention to your color choices so stay in that family when picking paint colors. If it's something you're naturally drawn to, then you're sure to love it on a wall. Repeat your patterns. I began to love my decor once I purchased geometric fabric and created our diamond wall!
Overall, surround yourself with what you love. Pin what you love, then bring it on home!
All images provided via my Pinterest boards. Start following along!
If you're interested in design services, on-line or in-home, please contact me. I'd love to work with you.