home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Monday, February 27, 2012

How to build a room

I thought about titling this post 'Moodboard Monday' but that's probably been done a million times already, right? Alliteration is just so catchy when it comes to titles. Anyway, I thought it may be fun to take a peek at a recent room design and walk you through it. 
Pin It

Floor Lamp: Zinc Door
Whale Pillow: 2Modern
Mirrors: Target
Table Lamp (actual lamp no longer available, but here's a similar one): Home Decorators
Leather Drum Ottoman: Zinc Door
Ikat pillows: Layla Grace
Drapes: Walmart
Medallion Pillow: Zinc Door
Side Table: Layla Grace

So many people start to decorate a room and suddenly feel paralyzed. It seems so overwhelming with the bajillion selections available. 
So where do you start? 
This room was born with 2 colors, navy and orange. The ikat pillows provide a great color scheme. Study those colors and run with it. Here's a secret...you know those colors rock it because a designer has already put them together in their great fabric design! 
Find accessories that blend but aren't matchy matchy.
If everything in the room matches, then your room becomes very boring. There's nothing of interest to draw in your attention. When the above piece of art is added, boom...our color scheme just grew. Now we can easily pull in yummy buttercream (sorry, I'm suddenly thinking about cupcakes) leather ottomans and green drapes.
Mix high-end with low-end
Your room doesn't have to cost a fortune. Be willing to splurge a little on the furniture pieces you'll be using the most. If art is your thing, then splurge on a piece that makes your heart sing. Now find areas to skimp. For example, did you notice where the drapes are sourced above? That's right...Walmart!
Don't be afraid to mix metals
Once again, not everything needs to match, including metal finishes. The antique gold finish of the mirrors sit nicely above an industrial table with a contrasting metal finish.

So there ya go, friends, a few little tips to keep in mind as you begin to build your room. If you're still feeling hesitant or overwhelmed, I'd love to help you. Read about available services here then feel free to contact me.

8 comments:

pam {simple details} said...

such a great example of mixing high and low! I want that rug!

Carly Haslee said...

Yes please. Such fabulous advice! I need to bookmark this to look back to when I move out of this apartment. Love mixing metals!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Thanks for this advice. It's helpful to read your thought process. I am great at helping other people bring their houses together but at home I just have too many ideas and ways I could go, so I don't do anything! Awesome!
I love the disection of a mood board and would adore you even more if you did more in the future!!!

Justine {Stop Me if You've Heard This One} said...

I love mood boards for the same reason I love Pinterest: It organizes all the crazy thoughts flying around my brain! Otherwise, I get way too overwhelmed with all my options and lose sight of my original idea. Love the color combo of this one!

A room with a view said...

I love blue and green in a room together along with high- and low-end items, mixing styles and elements. Gorgeous artwork, too. Those pillows are fabulous!

Diana @ Your Day Simplified said...

I love a moodboard and yours is very inspirational. I love that piece of art and the color of the rug is a great blue! Happy Monday!

Meghan @ Wishful Thinking said...

Wow! Love everything about this room! I totally agree about accessories not being too matchy-matchy, having something different in each corner definitely gives a space character. The little whale cushion on the chair is my favourite piece!

Holly Gruszka said...

Wonderful tips Dana and a beautiful board as well! I love those ikat pillows, and the rug, and the art - it's great.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips